- Criminal Defense
- Drug Trafficking
- White Collar Crimes
- Grand Jury Investigations
- Military Criminal Defense
- Juvenile Law
- Drug Crimes
- Motor Vehicle
David C. Serna is New Mexico's only Board Certified Criminal Defense Diplomate and Advocate, National Board of Trial Advocacy, Boston, MA. He is also a Board Certified Trial Specialist in Criminal Law, New Mexico Board of Legal Specialization, and a Life Member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
In Mr. Serna's over thirty-one (31) years of practicing criminal law, he has garnered numerous awards and distinctions and has represented clients in criminal matters in over eleven (11) States across the nation.
He was selected by "Southwest Super Lawyers" in 2007 and again in 2008 as a "Criminal Defense Super Lawyer", a "White Collar Defense Super Lawyer" and a "DWI Defense Superlawyer".
"Super Lawyers", published by Law & Politics employs a rigorous selection process backed up by considerable polling and peer evaluation that evaluates each candidate based on twelve (12) indicators of peer recognition and professional achievement. Only the top 5% of lawyers are selected each year.
Mr. Serna has been named one of the "Top Lawyers Of Albuquerque" by Albuquerque Magazine. The magazine asked a random sampling of other Albuquerque attorneys the following questions: 1) Which three lawyers in the city of Albuquerque do you feel most uphold the spirit of your profession with their demeanor, skills, methods, and the respect they command?", and 2) "Which individual lawyer in the city of Albuquerque would you most want representing you in a courtroom setting, based on their passion, skills, and the desire to win a case?". We are honored that Mr. Serna received multiple votes and was selected by the magazine.
Much more information concerning the specifics of Mr. Serna's career can be obtained by clicking on to his other websites, which are linked to this page. We are proud to share with you New Mexico's Premier Criminal Defense Law website, www.sernalaw.com, and New Mexico's Premier DWI/DUI Drunk Driving Defense website, www.NewMexDWILaw.com.
The Law Offices of David C. Serna give client's "hand crafted" personalized service. All cases accepted by the office are handled personally by Mr. Serna. A client can feel confident that any questions he or she may have about the case will be answered promptly by Mr. Serna or by his paralegal. Mr. Serna is an active participant in several national "networks" of criminal law organizations such as the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, National Association of Criminal Defense lawyers, and is a Founding Member of the National College for DUI Defense, Summer Programs at Harvard Law School. It is by maintaining regular intensive communication with these and other criminal law networks that Mr. Serna is able to provide his clients with the "cutting edge" in the constantly unfolding and evolving arena of Criminal Defense.
David C. Serna is fluent in the Spanish language and represents scores of clients who speak no English whatsoever.
The Law Offices of David C. Serna keeps a voice-mail system in place after-hours and on week-ends and holidays in order for clients to be able to communicate with Mr. Serna twenty-four (24) hours a day. When a caller leaves a voice message (in either English or Spanish), Mr. Serna's pager (which is always kept on) is immediately activated and he listens to the message. Mr. Serna keeps his pledge to remain available for emergency consultation after hours.
Please feel welcome to look over the information contained on this site. Then give Mr. Serna a call or send an e-mail to discuss your case, free of charge for initial consultation.
- Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia
- Honors: Georgetown University Gilbert & Sullivan Society
- University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- B.A. - 1974
- New Mexico, 1977
- U.S. District Court District of New Mexico, 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, 1978
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia, 1979
- Salandre v. State of New Mexico, 111 NM 422, 806 P2d 562, 1991, New Mexico Supreme Court, 1991040161
- State of New Mexico v. Dean Salazar, 123 NM 778, 945 P2d 996, 1997, New Mexico Supreme Court, 1997194249
- United States of America v. Mario Israel Gastelum-Murguia, 62 F.3d 1429, 1995, 10th Circuit, 1995167707
- Criminal Defense Super Lawyer, White Collar Defense Super Lawyer, & DWI Defense Super Lawyer, selected by Super Lawyers 2008
- Criminal Defense Super Lawyer, White Collar Defense Super Lawyer, & DWI Defense Super Lawyer, selected by Southwest Super Lawyers 2007
- Top Lawyers Of Albuquerque, selected by Albuquerque Magazine
- Who's Who in American Law
- Appointed as Member, Criminal Justice Act Panel Committee by Chief U. S. District Court Judge
- Appointed as Juez Comisionado by Lieutenant Governor, State of New Mexico
- Commissioned as a Kentucky Colonel by the Governor of the Commonwealth of Kentucky
- DWI/DUI Defense Super Lawyer
- Charles Driscoll Memorial Award
- National Association of Distinguished Counsel
Classes & Seminars
- DWI Defense, NM Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 10/16/1998 to 10/16/1998
- Advanced DWI Training, NM Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 10/15/1999 to 10/15/1999
- Strategies in Handling DWI Cases, Lorman Educational Services, 06/29/2001 to 06/29/2001
- Southwest Conference DUI/DWI Defense Strategies, NM Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 10/11/2002 to 10/12/2002
- New Mexico Equal Access To Justice Campaign, 1995
- District Attorneys Office, Violent Felonies Division, Assistant District Attorney, 1977 to 1981
- District Attorneys Office, Violent Felonies Division, Acting Division Chief, 1981 to 1981
- Law Office of Martin J. Chavez & Lorenzo Chavez, Associate Attorney, 04/1981 to 11/1981
- National College for DUI Defense, Summer Programs at Harvard Law School, Founding Member, 1995
- New Mexico State Bar Association Criminal Law Section, Member, Board of Directors, 1988 to 1989
- New Mexico State Bar Association, Criminal Law Section, Chair, Board of Directors, 1988 to 1989
- Criminal Justice Act Panel Committee, Appointed by Chief U. S. District Court Judge, 1994 to 2001
- National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Law, Member, National Legal Committee, 1985
- National College for DUI Defense, Summer Programs at Harvard Law School, New Mexico's First Founding Member, 1995
- New Mexico Trial Lawyers Association Mentor Program, Criminal Defense Mentor, 1995
- The District of Columbia Bar Association, Member, 1979
- American Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section, Member, Defense Function Committee
- New Mexico Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- New Mexico Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Sustaining Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member, 1984
- National Hispanic Bar Association, Member
- New Mexico Hispanic Bar Association, Member
- Georgetown Law Gilbert & Sullivan Society, perennial cast member
- National Association for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, Member, National Legal Committee, 1985
Certified Legal Specialties
- Criminal Law: Trial Specialist, New Mexico Board of Legal Specialization, 1990
- Criminal Trial Advocacy Specialist and Diplomate, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 1986
Current Employment Position
- Principal, 11/01/1981